24 February, 2009

Snack Bread

This Saturday, while shopping in Aghia Trianta area of Piraeus, we felt famished and entered a bakery displaying various type of snack bread and pies. Look the variety; these are only a part of them.



One of their specialities is chocolate tsoureki (tsoureki is sweet bread with egg, sugar, and egg, consistency firmer than brioche). I was very attracted by toureki filled with chocolate and soaked in syrup; never seen this before. Did not buy, because it should have been too messy to eat on the hoof.




Instead, I got this: smoked turkey ham and mozzarella cheese in multi-seed nest (1.90euros). Hubby got a calzone with ham, cheese and mushroom tomato sauce (1.90euro).


Section made with my bites; I did not have any knife with me.


The bread was nice, but as a whole it was not satisfying. Mozzarella cheese turned out to be bechamel sauce and quality of turkey ham was rather poor (well, although I expected this). Hubby's calzone was OK, but tomato sauce was far too salty.

To tell the truth, we have already tried this bakery a couple of times, and, although everything looks very promising, it has never got as good as our expectations. It failed us again. As we have not found any other bakery in this area, we might well go there again, but I will try to explore more and find alternatives.

No comments: