26 February, 2009

A Small Metal Pot

I have been looking for a metal pot for olive oil for some time. We bought a bottle of olive oil from laiki market. It is in a normal pet bottle and it has been awkward to pour small amont of oil from the bottle and we needed a small pot that can be put on the dining table.

Normally, it is in glass or plastic pots, but the ones I have used tend to clog or to spill. So I have been looking for a metal one that pizzaioli (pizza-making men) use to pour olive oil onto the pizzas. However, they are often too large for table use and pretty expensive, above 7 euros.

Yesterday, I happened to find this small pot for 5 euros and decided to give it a go.



This is probably meant to be a tea pot and was sold among oil pots in the shop, so I guess I can use it as oil pot as well.

What surprised me on close inspection was that it was apparently made by hand. The lines are far too irregular for a factory production. There is no indication where it was made, but the one made in Chine was being sold for 2.50euro suggests it was made elsewhere. From the country where I am from, there is no way to make profit making it by hand and selling it for 5 euros. It made me reflect on the economic scale of Greece.

No comments: