27 February, 2009

Halvas of Drapetsona

This Friday, on my way to LIDL in Drapetsona, I encountered a long queue in front of a shop.



It was a queue to buy Halvas from a famous manufacturor-retailer of Halvas in Drapetsona (Halvas Drapetsonas).



Halva is a type of sweets made of sugar and sesame seeds, popular in Greece as well as in Middle East. As it does not contain any animal fat or protein, it is consumed typically during the Lenten period.

Another type of halva - semolina halva - is also free of animal derived ingredient and, thus, is also typical of this period. Different from sesame halva, semolina halva is easy to prepare at home. I am planning to make one in these days.


[Shopping List: LIDL]

Orange Juice 1l -- 1.59euros

Grated mixed cheese 200g - 1.49euro

Chili salza 500 ml - 1.59euros

Soy sauce 250ml - 1.29euros

Trivelaki (fusilli) pasta 500g - 0.40euro

Small tube pasta 500g - 0.45euro

2 comments:

Kongkang Malaya said...

Hi Kayoko,

So you are a "list" kind of person too, eh? I can never go shopping or to grocery store without my list. I would be so lost and ended up buying things I don't need and forgetting to buy what I need.

How long have you moved to Greece?

mesogeia said...

Hello Frodo & Pikacu,

I moved to Greece 40 days ago. I feel still a new comer.

Actually I am not a list person. This is a list of the things I bought and I recorded it so that I can keep track of the prices.

The reason why I don't bring list with me is that I decide what to cook only when I see the prices in shops. It is to take advantage of the things on offer at the moment. Does it make sense to you? ;)