13 February, 2009

Greek Semi-Fresh Sweets

I don't know what they are called, but I like very much one type, or rather, one genre of sweets that the Greeks make. You can find in any cake shops or even in bakeries.

Even I don't know the name, I can show you photos: these photos are from our neighbourhood patisserie Vienneza.



Vieneza

And more.





These are small cakes made of chocolate, biscuit, sponge cake, nuts, cream or combination of these. They seem to have longer shelf-life than usual cream cakes and, although the instruction says we have to eat them immediately, can sit in the fridge easily for a couple of weeks.



This is a box of about half a kilo mix and there are about 9 pieces, which means 1 piece costs little short of a euro (if you don't order "mixed" box, probably you will pay less).



This is a typical example of these sweets.




Take a look at the section.


White cream (I don't think it is fresh whipped cream) is sandwiched by two pieces of soft, syrupy chocolate biscuit and chocolate coated. It is quite decadent; it would be more decadent if it contains boozy component.


For me who never manage to eat a whole slice of normal cakes, these come in a perfect size and I don't feel pressurised to consume while they are quietly sleeping in our fridge. We have a very happy relationship.

No comments: