23 February, 2009

Goodbye Meat + Correction

On the Thursday last week, Tsiknopempti, I wrote that it was the last day we are allowed, according to the Orthodox tradition, to eat meat before Easter.

I was wrong.

It is actually from today (23 Feb. 2009, Monday) we are not supposed to eat meat, yesterday being the Meatfare Sunday (Kyriaki tis Apokreo). This week is Cheesefare Week and after Cheesefare Sunday (Tyrini), no more dairy until Easter, according to the rule book.

Hubby claims the fasting does not start until Katharideutera (Clean Monday), so I will cook as he likes. I am not convinced by the Orthodox fasting practice and will do in my own way.

I did do it once for full Lenten period, but could not feel the benefit of it. I cannot agree that the Lenten diet is good for health or that shrimps, prawns, octopus, or shellfish are not animal. I never understand why fish eggs are allowed, while fish are not.

Mum-in-Law says that there is no use in doing fasting, if, while not eating the prehibited food, one does not eat in moderation. It is true. During the fasting period, it is difficult to control the quantity of food intake, as one cannot easily satisfied with the allowed food and ends up in eating more.

Let's see how it goes.

No comments: