16 February, 2009

LIDL

Recently we discovered that there is LIDL not far from Piraeus station and today we paid a visit.
The objective was to see the prices there. Comparing to the situation in UK, the supermarket prices in Greece are significantly higher and I was wondering if it is just because I have been to wrong supermarkets or because indeed the food prices in Greek supermarkets are dear.

Starting by the conclusion, Greek LIDL prices are not bad, but are still more expensive than in British LIDL.

I bought, for example, a box of green tea (25 bags) for 1.29 euros. That is OK by Greek standard, but in UK, if I remember well, it was around 90 pence. The ALDI used to sell 50 bags of green tea for a pound, although they were simple bags without handle, the type very popular in UK, but you don't see here in Greece.


A small jar of jam was 1.39 euros, cheap by Greek standard, but in UK, it wasn't more than a pound.


A bag of pasta, 500g, was competitive 40 cents, at the same level as in UK.


Only thing I found cheaper was the shopping bag; small bag was only 2 cents, while in UK it is 3 pence.



The following items are difficult to compare to the British counterparts, but should be useful to compare with other Greek supermarkets.

This is semi-hard cheese to grate on pasta or on rice (the label says 'hard cheese', but not as hard as parmiggiano reggiano or pecorino romano). It is 8.99euro a kilo and tasted all right.


This is Kaseri cheese, 0.85euro a kilo. I have not eaten other kaseri cheese raw and cannot tell if it is all right or not.


Sheep milk yogurt, 320g for 0.89 euro.

I have not compared yet the price with other supermarkets.

By and large, I was not impressed by the level of price at LIDL as much as I used to be in Britain, but I will go back to pick up some competitive goods to supplement my shopping at Carrefour.

**************************

I see there are many people arrive at my blog searching LIDL GREECE. Here is the Lidl Greece website.

http://www.lidl.gr/

There is the shop locator section on this site, but I am afraid it is only in Greek (but of course you can use Google translation).

No comments: