03 April, 2009

Halvas Drapetsonas

Some time ago, I posted an note about a halvas factory in Drapetsona area of Piraeus. It is really called Kosmidis and Gavriλis's Halvas of Drapetsona (Κοσμίδη-Γαβρίλη Χαλβάς Δραπετσώνας) and evidently famous all over Greece.

When I saw the shop at the beginning of the Lent, I did not even dare enter because of the long queue in front.

After almost a month, there isn't any more queue and, when I went to LIDL last week, I could secure a box for me.


Halvas Drapetsonas

They sell several types of halvas, like almond, cacao etc, but I bought the "sketo" (no added material) one. This is 450g box and the price was something between 3 and 3.50euros.

To tell the truth, I was totally sceptical about it, because I have never liked sesame halvas; they are just too sweet and uninteresting in flavour. I don't even like sesame so much. I bought it only because Hubby said he wanted some. Although he does not like halvas either, being a traditional Greek boy, he thinks he needs halvas to pass the Lent properly.



To my surprise, it turned out to be quite good. I cannot really tell what is different about Kosmidis' Halvas, but it is definitely better: it has stronger sesame flavour (but not bitter) and more pleasant texture.

They say it is good because it is hand-made (χειροποίητος), but I cannot believe that they mash the sesame actually by hand and in fact I see machines inside the factory. A mystery.

If you never liked sesame halvas, give it another chance by trying Drapetsona halvas!

http://www.halvas-drapetsonas.gr/

No comments: