29 April, 2009

Foreign Ministry's Translation Service Office

Last week I went to the Official Translation Service Office in Psirri area of Athens.


This is the place where you obtain official translations of your public or private documents. For example, if you are a graduate from foreign university and need to prove that you have a bachelor degree to Greek public offices, they often ask you to have your certificate translated into Greek by this Translation Service.





For some reason, Greek public offices sometimes look very shabby and the Translation Office is a good example. It is in one of back streets of Psyrri - is it only me who smells always urine in seedy parts of Psyrri? - , and predictably, around the building, there are a lot of scarely looking "foreigners".

My document was in English (they don't do Japanese) and they told me it would take two weeks (there is also express service, but, not being in a hurry, I opted for normal). I had to fill in the form and pay part of the fee (the rest of the fee, when it is done). You need to have your ID number (of ID card or passport) with you when you apply; they don't check the ID on acceptance, but they will when you come to collect the documents.

This is the webpage (in Greek, but don't panic and just use Google Translate; "Greek to English" works pretty well, although "to Japanese" translation is an absolute nightmare and I presumre the same for other minor languages).


Address and Opening Hours :
Arionos 10, Psyrri, 10554 Athens
(Αρίωνος 10, (περιοχή Ψυρρή), 10554 Αθήνα)
(I could not manage to paste the map, so I just place the link).
09.00-13.00


**********************


Then I tried to contact a friend of mine who works in Omonia area (and, no, she isn't a drug dealer), but I could not reach her. While making several attemps, I ate a bougatsa from Krinos and walked around the Central Market.

I noticed for the first time there is an entrance to the Central Market from Aiolou Street; the passage just next to M&S is the one.


From Lesvos Shop on Athinas Street, a street performer was coming out.


I did wonder what he bought.


*******************

Later in the day, I met a friend of mine and had some souvlaki together in a psistaria called Gyristroula. See the huge plate.

Kebab

No comments: