11 March, 2009

Taramas and taramosalata

When we lived in UK, we used to buy taramosalata (or taramasalata) from suparmarkets. It is conveniently packed in plastic tab and priced around £1 for maybe 200 or 300 grammes.

I thought the situation would be same also in Greece, but, then I found out it isn't. Although I can find packed taramosalata, it seems the Greeks still buy taramas and make their own taramosalata.

I have a bitter memory about taramas. When we were living in Italy, 10 years ago or so, Hubby's mom sent us a tub of taramas. But none of us - Hubby (we were not married then), his two brothers, and I - knew what was taramas and how to use it, and finding it too salty, we threw it in a bin. Only later, Mom told us what it was, but it was too late.

As a revenge, I decided to buy taramas and make my own taramosalata. It is one of the typical Lenten food and it is the high time to try.

This is how it looks.


Close up.



This one has a natural cod roe colour. I read that better the quality, more natural the colour. The red or pink ones are cheaper and sometimes not cod roe at all.

At the grocery store I bought this, there were two choices of taramas. This one was about 20 euros a kilo, while the other one was like 5 euros a kilo and bright pink. I bought the more expensive one, of course. God knows what that cheaper one could be?

The Japanese people eat lots of cod roe and we know how it should taste like. This definitely taste cod roe, although much saltier than the ones we usually eat in Japan.

So, taramosalata. I made it, but did not photograph as it was in the evening. As you can imagine, it was white and not pink as you find it in supermarkets in UK, as the taramas wasn't dyed. It was fine, but I thought I put too much lemon. And I should not have used extra-virgin olive oil, as it had too strong a taste that overpowered the subtle taste of taramas. I will make some other experiments and will show you the one I like the best.

No comments: