20 March, 2009

Nistissimo snacks

We paid a visit to our bakery and I found some more nistissimo (suitable for Orthodox religious fasting) items.

First: Patatopita


patatopita

There is mashed potato inside. Pie should be made with vegetable shortening (I think in any case that most of the snack pies sold at bakeries and pie shops are made with vegetable oil as butter is too expensive).

Carb+carb combination. Excellent.

Second: Almond, pistachio and sultana kritsini.


The bread-biscuit part is about equal as the nuts and sultana part.


I found interesting inclusion of pistachio.

Greek bakeries hold still more treasures to discover.

************************************

By the way, yesterday I fried artichokes (aghinares) and king prawns (separately) in beer batter and they turned out to be excellent sarakosti food. They are added to my sarakosti cooking repertoire.

No comments: