12 March, 2009

Nistissimo Goody's

Last Sunday, I tried Goody's for the first time.

Goody's is a Greek hamburger chain as ubiquitous as McDonald's or KFC in Athens (maybe also elsewhere in Greece, but I don't know well). I found the website.

I usually don't do chain restaurants, as the food is too impersonal to my taste. What made me make an exception was that they do Lenten menu for Sarakosti period. It is not called "Lenten menu", but "Ta Mesogeiaka" (I would translate into "Mediterranean choices") and it offers a whole range of "nistissimo (Greek adjective for "suitable for Orthodox fasting") dishes.

We tried "Karamarakia" (Squid ring fries). It was priced around 4.60 euros, if I remember well.




The dish consists in 8 deep fried squid rings, fat chips, and mixed salad. Although the chips fill the stomach, the portion of seafood is rather meagre and the squid itself was very thin and smelly. There is no comparison with the karamarakia of Greek psarotavernes (fish restaurants).




We also had sides of French fries. Goody's claims to be the first restaurant chain to use only olive oil in all the coking. But, if they don't use the extra virgine olive oil, not that we can tell the difference. Anyway, these tasted better than the soggy fat chips that came with the squid rings.

TV advertising tells us that also Greek McDonald's has Lenten period specials. Do they do it better than Goody's?

No comments: