31 March, 2009

Sourdough Bread from Alimos

The other day, I had a thing to do in Alimos and went to Marina Alimos by tram for the first time.

I did not have time to see the Marina, but I found a bakery with a large billboard "Ψώμι με προζύμι - Psomi me prozimi" (sourdough bread) and could not resist buying one. Maybe because I am slightly crazy.

The prices are generally higher in this shop than in Piraeus bakeries and 1 normal bread cost 90 cents against 80 cents in Piraeus. And the sourdough bread was sold by weight. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was close to 2 euros; although it looked small, it was very compact and much heavier than usual bread.



See the density of texture?




The bread was well made, but, unfortunately, it was too sour for my taste. But it is not their fault, as some people like sourdough bread to be sour. It had also cinnamon like smell as well.



Although it wasn't the type of bread I like, it was nice to see a different type of sourdough.




++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


And a random cat photo of the day.


I disturbed him during the lunch time.

2 comments:

CaliforniaKat said...

Here I am commenting on another of your posts about sourdough. I think my first comment was about that, as well. :)

But what Greeks say is sourdough often isn't what we think it is. I've looked far and wide for something comparable -- islands, different parts of the mainland, villages, cities. I just use my SF sourdough starter or wait until my next exodus.

mesogeia said...

Hello CaliforniaKat!

Yes, I still agree with what you say. But, this shop in Kallipoli of Piraeus makes the kind of sourdough that I knew in Japan and in UK.

http://gatetogreece.blogspot.com/2009/03/greek-sourdough-bread-2.html

What is interesting about "me prozimi" bread is that it is so different from shop to shop and I cannot resist comparing.