07 December, 2010

Public Transportation in Athens Strikes, Again

I heard that all the public transportations in Athens & the National Railways will stage 24 hour strike on 8th December 2010 (Wednesday).


*******************************


Yesterday I went to Omonia station at 6 past.

I know. I should not go there, but I had to for my job.

Getting off the metro, I saw a young woman with her face covered with white powder. I was wondering if she was sick or something and then more and more young people covered with white powder coming toward me.

Then my eyes started to sore and some other people who got off the train started to cover their face with clothes.

Evidently tear gas that the police used to disperse the demonstration in Omonia square was lurking underground.

As soon as I got out of the station and breathed in the open air, I did not feel the pain any more, but there still was rioteous mood in the square. I speedly walk off to Athinas street, away from Omonia.

Yesterday was the second anniversary since 15-year-old Alexis Grigoropoulos was shot dead by a policeman.

No comments: